Image description
Image description
Image description

                                                                   General Safety Information.

 

 

It is commonly believed that only gas appliances produce carbon monoxide. All appliances that burn fuel produce carbon monoxide. In fact your solid fuel stove or open fire produces hundreds of times that of gas or oil appliances.This, and the risk of a chimney fire is why it's important to have your chimney swept by a trained and competent person.

The number of chimney fires is increasing every year in the UK with as many as 32 thousand homes having a chimney fire in 2010. A significant number of these will be due to not having the chimney swept often enough. Other contributing factors are:

 

     * Burning fuel that is inappropriate for the appliance.

     * Burning wood with too high a moisture content. ( Logs should be less than 20% moisture)

     * Overnight burning / slumbering the fire. This can be dangerous and costly. It is also highly  

        polluting.

     * Unsuitable or inefficient stove or chimney.

 

Many insurance companies will no longer pay out for chimney fire damage unless the flue has been swept and maintained by a professional chimney sweep who can issue a valid certificate of sweeping recognised by the insurance companies themselves. Wildgoose Chimney Sweeps issue these certificates for every chimney swept.