Image description
Image description

Wildgoose Chimney Sweeps

Carbon Monoxide is a highly poisonous gas.

 

Carbon Monoxide fumes have no colour, taste or smell and can be produced by appliances that use gas, wood, oil, coal or smokeless fuel. Carbon Monoxide can also be present in smoke from solid fuel, wood or oil appliances.

 

Carbon Monoxide is potentially fatal, and even low-levels of the poison can cause lasting damage to your health.

 

You increase the risk of your appliance producing Carbon Monoxide if it is badly installed or poorly maintained. If you have a solid fuel appliance you should empty the ash can daily, clean the flue ways at the back of the boiler weekly and clean the throat plates at the top of the room heater monthly.

 

Have your chimney swept at least once a year if burning smokeless fuel or at least twice a year if using wood or bituminous coal. If you live in rented accommodation with gas appliances your landlord must provide you with proof that a CORGI registered installer has safety-checked the appliances within the last 12 months. A responsible landlord will provide the same for solid fuel and oil.

 

Fit an audible Carbon Monoxide alarm.

 

Carbon Monoxide alarms need to meet European safety standards and must be audible. Fit them in accordance to the manufacturer’s instructions. Note: an alarm is no substitute for regular maintenance and chimney sweeping.

 

Recognising the early symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning will save your life.

 

The symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning are  nausea, dizziness, tiredness, headaches, stomach and chest pains.

 

If you experience these symptoms but feel better when you are outside or away from the appliance, you could be suffering from Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

 

If you suspect a Carbon Monoxide leak, stop using the appliance until it has been checked by a competent engineer. You should open windows to ventilate the area, leave the room to get some fresh air and seek medical advice.

 

If you receive medical attention, be sure to state that you suspect you could be suffering from Carbon Monoxide poisoning to ensure you receive appropriate treatment,

 

Blocking ventilation or misusing your appliance can lead to Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

 

You should have your chimney swept at least once a year, preferably before each winter.